Ad Sense

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Old Shoes, New Shoes

I don't even remember how long ago it was I bought those Footjoys  It might of been fifteen or maybe even twenty years. Those shoes were older than my two youngest children. I bought them at Roger Dunn's Golf Store and I believe they were on sale. I have replaced the spikes and repolished those things more times than I can count.  But, what really counts is not just the games I played but the people I have been blessed to spend a few hours walking around trying to hit a little white ball into a hole with. 

Those old shoes and I played several rounds with my biological father until he passed away. I hadn't seen him for about twenty two years and golf was an old passion of his and a growing one of mine. Golf was a good way to get reacquainted. 

Those shoes were with me while one of my best friends and the best man at my wedding, spent many a day hacking our way around 18 holes. Los Verdes Golf Club in Rancho Palos Verdes can be crazy busy and the wait woeful. One Mother's Day (before I got married, of course) we went to see if we could maybe get in nine before dark. When we asked how long the wait was the tee-master said, "You're up next." Now that I've been married for a while I know why. Great day with a great friend. 

Those old shoes have hung in and waited patiently when the I didn't play very often because my family always comes first. So, many times it was months or even a year before those old shoes were once again allowed to roam the green grass. But, the Footjoys welcomed anyone who would share a day of golf. We made a lot of new friends sometimes just the Footjoys, myself and a twosome willing to let us tag along. 

This last year we were invited to join a new foursome that plays about once a month. A new pair of spikes and off we went. I got to tell you. I couldn't believe those old shoes stayed together so well. A few months ago we enjoyed a round at the Chester Washington Golf Course in LA. Great company, good game of golf. On the 17th hole my right shoe felt funny. I look down and the the bottom of the right shoe, near the heel was starting to come loose. I tried to walk gently and all seemed well. Well, on the 18th hole, right after my last putt went into the hole, I took a step and the bottom of the shoe stayed on the grass while the rest went with my foot. 

So, thanks to those old Footjoys. We made a lot of friends and have some great memories together. Time to get some new shoes.

Thanks to Big 5 Sporting Goods I picked up some very nice Nike golf shoes. They feel great and look pretty good too. I took them out a few weeks ago with with friend and we had a great day on the links. And so the journey begins anew. I am not a scratch golfer and I like my new shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment