Ad Sense

Saturday, September 1, 2012

MacGregors and the Police

My first slice of golfing came when I was a pre-teen-age lad eyeing my dads set of MacGregors gathering dust in the garage. My younger brother and I ended up at the local 3 par, the Arroyo Seco Golf Course,  hacking away at that little white ball. I was pretty competitive and my left handed brother hit those right handed sticks straight as an arrow almost every time, while I was as seeing how many trees and unsuspecting golfers I could hit as was possible during 18 holes of so-called golf. I can't believe believe they ever let us play again.

It was about twenty years later when I again picked up a set of clubs and tried to play again at that same   3 par course. This time I went out and bought Ben Hogans "Five Lessons: The Fundamentals of golf: and read it from front to back. I spent a number of sessions on the driving range doing everything Ben told me to. I could actually hit it in the fairway! I enjoyed playing that course and was shocked one day to find a police car near the middle of the course. I was told there was an "altercation" between a couple of hackers. I thought, well, at least they didn't call the police on my brother and I. 

I ventured out into the land of real full length golf courses. I discovered I had a bit of trouble hitting my longer irons and woods, a great deal of trouble. So, I went to the local pro for some lessons. He told me Ben didn't real know much and soon, thanks to his help, I couldn't even hit my irons straight. Thanks teach.

I ended up moving to the South Bay and took a lesson from the local pro there at Los Verdes Golf Club. He watched me for about 2 minutes and told me to please stop. He said, "Wow, you're thinking about way too much! All I want you to think about is your snapping your wrists." It helped. He also suggested I widened my stance for the woods and taught me how to go inside out. Now, the trouble is doing it on the course during an actual game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment